Wednesday, October 02, 2013

Oh no, Ohio!

In Forever Evil #2, Grid (the robot parts of Cyborg, reassembled into the evil android servant of Earth-3's Crime Syndicate) updates his allies on how their invasion of Earth is going.

Their plan, you may recall, consisted of killing off the Justice League/s, capturing Nightwing and revealing his secret identity on TV, knocking out all power and communications and opening up the world's super-prisons to overwhelm law enforcement and any remaining, demoralized superheroes with any army of super-villains.

The black spots on Grid's map up there, we learn in a later panel, represent the area that the Crime Syndicate controls. As you can see, they seem to be focusing only on major cities, and my great state of Ohio isn't faring better than any of the other states, with Cincinnati, Dayton and Columbus all having fallen already (I guess The Blue Jacket was just no match for The Society of Super-Villains).

The panel cuts off northern Ohio though, so perhaps Cleveland is still resisting...?
No such luck; the rest of Ohio shows up on this view of the map, and, sadly it looks like Cleveland has gone dark too, as has Erie, PA, where I went to college.

Fortunately, it looks like Mentor, where I currently live, my nearby hometown and the small town where my nieces and nephew live—all along the coast of  Lake Erie between Cleveland and Erie—are still okay, but I suppose it's only a matter of time before the Crime Syndicate extends their control from the urban population centers of the country.

This is what happens when you live in a state with no superheroes, I guess.

3 comments:

Aki Alaraatikka said...

I hope that you all survive. Best of luck!

Eric Lee said...

Sorta unrelated, but whatever happened to Marvel's 50 state initiative? The part of the Registration act that puts at least one hero in every state? That seems like a lot of potential story ideas just sitting there.

Caleb said...

I dunno. I think the last time I heard it mention of it was in AVENGERS INITIATIVE, which I dropped shortly before it became AVENGERS ACADEMY.

I ASSUME it was either scuttled or corrupted around the time Norman Osborn replaced Iron Man as Boss of Superheroes, but I don't know if it survived SIEGE or not...