Thursday, January 19, 2012

Meanwhile, at Robot 6...

I have a better-late-than-never review of the first issue of Boom/Kaboom's new Peanuts comic (actually, it's the second one, since they released a #0 issue, but I waited until the one numbered #1 came out to give it a look). You can read the piece here. The one bit of the book I forgot to mention was that it concludes with a strip in which Lucy Van Pelt teaches the reader how to draw Charlie Brown. I didn't follow the instructions exactly (I used pen, and didn't erase my guide line) and sort of rushed through it at the end, but above is my attempt at following her instructions. While the above kinda sucks, the instructions seemed spot on. With lots of practice, I think someone following them could end up doing a hell of a waving Charlie Brown.

Elsewhere on the Internet, I have "Six Thoughts on the Possibility of a Live-Action 'Green Arrow' TV series," generated by the news that the CW is apparently going to order a pilot of such a thing. I hope they go with the bearded version of GA, in which case I already know exactly who they could have play him.

3 comments:

Ed Sudoku said...

Did the instructions tell you to make the mouth all wiggly, like Schulz drew them in the 80s and 90s? I always thought it was odd that all the licensed peanuts products started using those wiggly lines, since the only reason Schulz drew that way was because he had heart surgery in the early 80s and couldn't keep his hand steady afterward. It wasn't a stylistic choice or anything.

Caleb said...

Actually, there is a bit in there that says to make the smile like that. She (Lucy) specifically says not to worry about making it too straight, as Charlie Brown has a wiggly, uncertain smile...

Ed Sudoku said...

That's a cute way to phrase it. I like that.