Thursday, June 03, 2010

An important update on the state of squirrels in the Green Lantern Corps:

Last week I noticed a strange change to the cover of Tiny Titans #28, which I discussed at some length on Blog@Newsarama. The solicited cover featured the Green Lantern Corps' longtime alien squirrel character Ch'p on it.

But the one that shipped had a different alien squirrel character on it, B'dg (Which the Internet told me is pronounced "Badge." Apparently the rules of apostrophe pronunciation in the DC Universe are remarkably consistent from planet to planet).

At the time, I wondered aloud about the change.

Well I just recently received clarification from the person in the best position to know about any last-minute changes to the alien squirrel superheroes appearing in Tiny TitansTiny Titans writer/artist Art Baltazar.

Here's what Baltazar had to say about the change:

Ch'p was changed to B'dg kinda last minute during the action of making the Tiny Titans! I was told by my awesome editors and...GEOFF JOHNS!...that Ch'p got killed! OH NO! What are we gonna do now?! I really liked Ch'p too. B'dg became the new Squirrel GL in Ch'p's place. So, B'DG it is! I never heard of B'dg so I had to get reference and read about him and stuff. Now, I like him alot. He even thinks of humans as pets. AW YEAH SUPER PETS! PLUS! B'dg is tied into the DC Super Friends kids comic and has a better chance of getting a toy from Mattel. It's true.

So there you have it. R.I.P. Ch'p. And, um, "Aw yeah, Bd'g."

8 comments:

Unknown said...

They pulled Ch'p because he's dead, but isn't that Abin Sur in the same story?

Kid Kyoto said...

IIRC Ch'p got depressed and walked in front of a yellow truck one night. It was the 90's, people actually thought it was cool to take a funny animal character and do that.

Matt D said...

Yeah, because I can't imagine DC doing that now. Don't they not used G'nort because he doesn't fit into Geoff's vision of the GLC right now?

Maddy said...

I find it utterly bizarre that Tiny Titans, of all books, has to keep in line with DC's main continuity.

Ed Sudoku said...

Ch'p died in the generally loved "Green Lantern Mosaic" series. He was walking in the street and a truck started barreling toward him and he froze in his tracks, staring at the headlights, while John Stewart yelled to him to get out of the road.

It was actually pretty funny and appropriate. One of my favorite comic book deaths. I believe he returned as a ghost an issue or two later.

nyrdyv said...

I guess it must be said that B'dg is just a Ch'p off the old block...

Cheers!

Steven G. Willis
XOWComics.com

Anonymous said...

Dawwwww...

Phillip said...

The best thing about Art Balthazar is that he actually does say "Aw Yeah!" all the time.