Thursday, March 22, 2007

Film Review: TMNT



If one were to ponder the incredible success of Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird's comic book creations the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (which, in less than ten years after there 1984 inception, had conquered comic books, television, the silver screen, toy aisles and had their own breakfast cereal), I think it would all ultimately boil down the name: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. There's just something about those four words in that particular order which is, of course, hilarious, but also sublime and, well, true.

So why did Warner Brothers opt to call the latest film featuring the foursome simply TMNT? I have no idea, but it strikes me as a big mistake.

Thankfully, it's one of only a vert few mistakes in the new film, which, when all is said and done, is about as good as you could hope a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film could ever realistically be.

If you'd like to read my review of the film, you can read it here at Donewaiting.com.

In related linkage, click here for my review of the other movie about a sewer-dwelling mutant opening in Columbus this week, here for another piece I did about the movie at the new and improved Shotgunreviews.com, and here for my recent Newsarama.com article looking at the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' comic book history.

And that's the last time I expect to type the word "turtle" for quite a while.

No comments: