Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Fred Van Lente, man of action...and philosophy


Get thee to bamkapow.com to read my interview with Fred Van Lente, the writer behind the hilarious Action Philosophers! comic. I was pretty bummed when I learned it's winding down, ending with #9. At least until I learned what Van Lente and his AP! co-creator Ryan Dunlavey have up their collective sleeve. Be sure to check it out. Here's a sample exchange to whet your interview-reading appetite:

This week's issue is the "People's Choice," in which the most requested philosophers to get the Action Philosophers' treatment. When you were collecting suggestions and votes for it, did you get any that really threw you?

Oh yeah, like every week—still! (laughs) Somebody writes in recommending someone who I guess turned them on in college but Ryan and I have never heard of before, usually obscure lefties. People have also suggested we do an All-Vegetarian Issue and an All-Feminism Issue, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The one name that keeps coming up is the Marquis de Sade … Jesus, I'm like, people, people: Wanting to fuck everything that moves is NOT a philosophy!

It's an important life goal.

No comments: